Petravia
01 / 0

Uses of Travertine Marble that you probably did not know.

Por Petravia
Enero 2022

Travertine marble is a light yellowish colored porous limestone. Formed by calcium carbonate deposits, travertine has been used since ancient Rome as an ornamental stone in construction, architecture and decoration thanks to its compact and crystalline texture.

The components of travertine are calcite and gypsum, although 99% of the minerals that make it up are colorless, the honey-colored hue has its origin in the other 1% of the stone, which has traces of yellow sulfur, brown iron compounds and pigments. organic.

The porous texture is due in part to gas bubbles that frequently get trapped between stone layers creating spherical voids. The result is a natural stone with light beige and white tones, with a smooth and elegant appearance.


RESISTANCE: a la flexión, al choque térmico, a los agentes agresivos, a la abrasión y a la humedad.
DURABILITY: gracias a la dureza del mármol, podemos tener una obra perfecta para toda la vida.
BELLEZA: la personalidad y elegancia del mármol están fuera de toda duda, creando ambientes exclusivos y llenos de tranquilidad.
BEAUTY: un aspecto esencial al momento de elegir el material más adecuado.

USES OF THE TRAVERTINE: INTERIOR AND EXTERIOR

Thanks to its natural characteristics of resistance and hardness, travertine is a very versatile material: it can be used inside and outside of homes, both on floors and on walls. Indoors, it is often used for sinks, wall tiles or bathroom countertops. Outdoors, it is common for facades, floors or pool edges, as it resists inclement weather. In addition, its maintenance is very simple: it should only be cleaned with soap and water without abrasives.

Travertine Marble Clad Shower Walls

It is available in finishes such as natural, polished, honed or aged. The natural finish preserves the porosity of natural stone and its more rustic appearance. In this case, its installation outdoors is recommended. Polished and honed give travertine a special shine by sealing its surface with a special paste to increase its durability. The aged finish is often used on exterior floors and pool edges as it creates a non-slip surface.